Category Archives: The House on Fremont Street

Herringbone Wall Part 1

The House on Fremont Street: An {imperfect} DIY herringbone wall in Everett’s room {part 1}

A long, long time ago, before The House on Fremont Street was even a thought, I pinned this picture on Pinterest. I loved the entire nursery, which actually originated from the gorgeous, to-die-for blog, At Home At Home.

Fast forward nearly a year. We’re in our new home, trying to add some customized elements to make our otherwise plain jane house into a home that we adore. I don’t think that I would ever brave painting a true chevron pattern on the wall, as trying to make all of those zigs and zags align perfectly (they’d have to. HAVE TO.) makes me want to cry, but this imperfect version of a herringbone pattern seemed doable. Even for this paint-hating DIYer.

I promise to include a full step-by-step guide in the next post, but we’re only halfway through and I hit a bump in the road along the way, so let’s talk about that first, shall we?

FrogTape

We used FrogTape Delicate Surface (since we had just painted the wall with a fresh coat of white paint), which is pretty much the best thing ever. It’s so soft and easy to put on the wall. Note that we used the wider tape, giving us almost 2-inches of coverage for every white line.

Herringbone Wall

Josh was in charge of the first step: getting the vertical lines perfectly spaced and perfectly straight. He’s good at things like that. I’m not. This is why we’ve been married for nearly 12 years.

Herringbone Wall

Now my work began. I started in the center of the wall, taping off two of the first herringbone lines about mid-way up the wall. I didn’t want them to perfectly connect, but I did want their angles to be similar, which I just eye-balled.

Herringbone Wall

Then, I started tape off of my first piece in one section. I didn’t want each section, which will be painted blue, to be the same size, so I just taped my heart out, adding new lines until I had filled up the entire section.

Herringbone Wall

This was the result. When I stood back, I wasn’t as excited as I should be. When I compared it to my inspiration picture, I realized that I had added far too many lines.

Herringbone Wall

Instead of starting over, I went with a new strategy for the adjacent section, starting with taping three pieces: one that was in the middle, then one above and one below, giving me three equal-ish sections. Once those looked good (it was tricky to get their angles right!), I added two lines of tape below and above each of the three main tape lines.

Herringbone Wall

Once that side was taped, I went back to the first section and removed about half of the tape that I had applied originally. I just did some random picking and choosing, being careful to step back away from the wall, to check on the progress as I removed each line.

In the end, I love that the section on the left is a little more structured, while the section on the right has some skinnier and thicker bands. I think they’re a good balance for each other… at least until we get started on the outer sections!

We’re going to finish taping tonight and maybe I can convince Josh to start painting for me too… Stay tuned for a full reveal and step-by-step instructions (minus the ones we wasted time on!) next week!

 

The House on Fremont Street

The House on Fremont Street: It’s moving day!

Moving Day

this is where i’ve been all week. on a ladder. 

It’s moving day!

(enter huge cringe here.)

I hate moving and I feel terribly unprepared, as we’ve been spending all of our time this week at the new house, prepping it for our arrival, and not so much at the old house, um, packing.

But, here goes nothing!

Take a little sneak peek at what we’ve been working on at the new house the past few days and don’t forget to check out some other popular posts on bellingFAM that you may have missed, including:

Moving Day

can you tell what this is?

Moving Day

i’m crossing my fingers that this paint is dry now…

The House on Fremont Street

Meet The House on Fremont Street

Apologies for the silence on bellingFAM the past few days… We have been waiting very, very patiently for our new house to close and it finally did at the end of last week, which means we’ve been in a whirlwind of signing papers and DIYing.

The House on Fremont Street

If you follow along on Instagram (we’re using #thehouseonfremontstreet there too), you already got a sneak peek into what we’re working on first. Let’s just say that there is a lot of paint and a lot of wood. And three little ones who are (not so) helpful along the way. Not to mention the excessive amount of time that we’ve spent at Lowe’s in the past 72 hours.

The House on Fremont Street

But, we’re excited to share our homeowner adventures with you, including all of the projects that I haphazardly pin on Pinterest and then convince Josh to do with me. (ahem, planking the ceilings. cough. cough.)